Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Why Effective Comminucation Skill is So Important?

This is my very first blog entry written in English! I would like to dedicate my appreciation to all the ES2007S’ lecturers for making the E-portfolio one of the assessments in this course. Why is this so? Being a full time Science student, my academic life has always been haunted by countless laboratory reports, dry tutorials and sitting in large lecture theatres where I have no choice but to exercise only my listening skill, with very little chance to practise my verbal communication. I think this is one of the reasons why scientists are relatively blunt in their choice of words…
Therefore I present ot you my answer on why effective communication skills are so important to me! After my six-month-long internship in a Small and Medium Enterprise, I realize that effective communication skills can sometimes speak louder than knowledge. I used to think that being a researcher will only require excellent laboratory skills and technical knowledge to produce results that would benefit my employer as well as the society, so communication proficiency would never be significant in my career path. However, my perception has recently been overturned when I observed how an elaborate report or proposal can minimise confusion and misunderstanding within and among the departments. In addition, through my internship, I have also learnt that a captivating presentation would stand a higher chance of capturing VIP’s attention and agreement and the “you-attitude” is also vital in securing a friendly working environment.
Besides that, due to my peace-loving disposition, I always aim to eliminate every single destructive argumentthat results from misunderstanding. I believe that living in this collective society, effective communication skill can be a master key to open doors to various opportunities in social life, academic andmy ultimate in life.
This is the reason I am writing this blog, as I trust ES2007S can bring me closer to my goals with the skill of effective communication.

6 comments:

  1. Elin,

    I really like your post! As you share the importance and principles of effective communication through stories about your academic life, through your workplace and even in your personal life(in the form of diplomatic speeches), I find myself identifying with your experiences.

    Thank you for this insightful post! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elin,
    Thanks for sharing your stories! I like it because you speak out your true feelings about communication skills. You have experienced what a huge difference that effective communication skills can make to people's lives.
    I do agree that "Effective communication skills can be a master key to open doors to various opportunities in social life". Only if you can let other people understand you, could you have the chance to travel further into other people's world and help yourself shine in your own way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I agree that the ability to articulate your ideas is far more important than what you know. Few months ago I attended a seminar talk in which a local famous toastmasters business speaker mentioned that 20% of success is knowledge, 80% is how you articulate your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Elin, for this insightful post. I appreciate the way you have really focused your discussion on why effective comm skills are important for you. You elaborate with clear examples. Only the expressions gets in your way. Please consider these examples:

    1) Being a full time Science student, my academic life >>> Being a full time Science student, who?

    2) I used to think that being a researcher will only required excellent laboratory skills... >>>

    3) that would benefit my employer as well as the society, so who cares about communication proficiency? >>> ?

    4) I believe that living in this collective society, effective communication skill can be a master key to open doors to various opportunities in social life, academic andmy ultimate in life. >>> I believe that effective communication skill can be a master key to open doors to various opportunities in social life, academic andmy ultimate in life.

    Thank you for your effort! I look forward to reading your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Brad for the comment! Yet, I am sorry that I do not really understnad the 2nd and 3rd example given, would you please elaborate a little bit further?
    Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elin!

    I agree besides knowledge, you need good communication skills to succeed in life!

    Indeed good communication skills can act as a master key to open new doors and present us with more opportunities in life.

    See you around!

    ReplyDelete